So... if you remember my last post from August 2013, it was a wrap of Barb's Race 70.3. I had mentioned that it was one of my best race experiences of my life and that I wanted to do it again the following year. Unfortunately, my triathlon-self had to take a back seat to my work-self.
Now, over 2.5 years later, I'm ready to attempt another 70.3 race. I was bummed to find that the Vineman Race series (Barb's Race) was bought out by Ironman and they felt Barb's Race was not one they wanted to keep. So unfortunately I don't get to do the same race, but instead I get to broaden my race resume with a different 70.3.
So what are my requirements when it comes to picking out a 70.3 race.
1. Fresh Water Swim (No Salt Water, No Open Ocean)
2. Low Altitude (I have no desire to attempt an open water swim in Denver)
3. A race that seems like it would be fun
So what race did I end up with... Best in the West 70.3 Triathlon (http://www.bestinthewesttriathlon.com/half-ironman/) in Sweet Home, Oregon (about 45 minutes from Corvallis). Its a small triathlon. Turns out last year only 107 people finished the Half Ironman. That means less people in the water kicking me in the face. Always a bonus. But it could also mean a lonely time on the bike and run course.
The bike course is a scenic 56 mile bike ride. Another word for Scenic, could be described as hilly. Or at least in my opinion hilly (2638 ft of elevation gain). Barb's race was about 1800 ft. Its going to require a lot of training up in the PV hills.
The run is another 2 loop run, which can get boring. But it also means I will be able to see and cheer on my buddy who is also doing the race with me. She's a little speed demon and will probably be ahead of me the entire race. But at least our path will cross a few times on the run to give each other some motivation. The Post Race celebration includes a barbecue feast. Which I'm sure I will barely eat since never feel great after 8 hrs of exercise.
So I hope to use this blog to hold me accountable for my training. Its easy to get distracted with life. And I am hoping this will keep me focused. September 11 is right around the corned. I better get my butt in gear.
No comments:
Post a Comment