Monday, August 29, 2016

Taper Time!

It's officially less than 2 weeks until Race Day.  What's done is done.  What I trained is what I trained.   Cram session is over and its time to enter Taper Town.  

As per my previous post, August got a little hectic and I did not get all the training in I had hoped to get in.   In prep for open water swimming (getting use to my wetsuit, no walls or lines to guide me and people people everywhere) I participated in the Naple's Island Swim (1.3 miles).  It did state if you wore your wetsuit you would be DQ'ed for any results.  But part of the purpose was to get use to my wet suit, and who am I kidding, there's no way I'm placing.  Squeezing myself into the wetsuit is another story.  But the short part is, it took me way more time then I allotted.  By the time I got it on, the race had started and all the swimmers were off in the distance.  I ran to the start and jumped in without making sure the wetsuit was properly zipped up.   I spent the first half of the swim trying to figure out where to turn for the canal's entrance.  While I was in the canal, I noticed my wetsuit was rubbing on my neck.   By the time I completed the swim, I had rubbed my neck raw from my wetsuit. (Nothing like going into second shift for work, looking like I had a hickey on my neck).  The good news is I did eventually pass 2 swimmers, so I did not finish last :)  

The following weekend, I participated in an "olympic" distance triathlon.  That weekend, I learned I have a lot more training needed, one problem, I don't have any more time.  The water temperature was about 80 degrees, so I opted not to wear a wet suit for the swim.  The swim was 3 laps around the reservoir.   Every lap a new wave was just beginning, so swimmers swimmers everywhere.  The ride wasn't too bad, but it was also only 20 mile ride versus the normal 24.8 miles.   The run was another story.  It was a "trail" run, in desert like conditions (dirt path in the middle of no where, with no trees for shade).  No music, warm weather, allows my mind to run crazy with negative thoughts.  Its safe to say this was my slowest 10k in years.   

This last weekend, after freaking out about my Olympic triathlon experience. I decided no cheating this weekend.  On Saturday, Erika and I head out for a long ride.  The bike course in the race is 56 miles with 2500 ft of elevation gain.  So we took to the hill's of PV.  Around mile 30, she got a flat. And we attempted to change it, but failed.   The new tube was pinched with tire and caused a new hole.   No more spare tubes, and no more CO2 cartridges, it was time to call the SAG wagon.  Duane came and picked up Ericka, while I continued on my bike ride.  In the end I got 46 miles with 2733 ft of elevation gain.   Wasn't fast, but got it done.  Then on Sunday, went for a super slow 12 mile run.  I was able to continue running, but my legs just felt like bricks.  No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't move them any faster.  I finished out the weekend with a 40 minute swim.    (Talk about a last minute cram session).  

Training moving forward will include shorter distances, and allowing my body to recover from the training.  Looking forward to having my Mom, Duane and Erika (I'm assuming she will finish before me) cheering me on at the finish line.





No comments:

Post a Comment