Sunday, September 18, 2016

Best in the West Race Recap



It has been a week since I completed the Best in the West 70.3 Triathlon and here is my reflection on the trip and the race.

The race was in Sweet Home, Oregon, which is about 45 miles East of Corvallis.   We flew into Portland and then drove to Sweet Home for the race.  Flying meant transporting my bike was not going to be as easy as putting my bike on a car rack.  So I borrowed a bike travel case from a friend and quickly learned how to tear down my bike (wheels, pedals, seat, and handle bars were all removed from the frame).  I took lots of pictures so I could make sure I could get it all back together again in Sweet Home.  Luckily I had no issues tearing down or putting it back together.  

Friday was spent driving to Sweet Home, picking up the race packet and t-shirt and then putting my bike together.  We ended up getting a rotisserie chicken from Safeway and some microwaveable vegetables for dinner.  (Fine dining, I know).  
Erika and I pre-race

Race day we woke up, ate breakfast and quickly headed off to the race.  (Trying to ignore the fact that our sink in our motel room was backed up with nasty water, ugh).  At the transition area we got marked with our race numbers and age on our legs and arms.   Then we hung our bikes and got perfectly situated for the various transitions.  It was so cold in the morning. Our wetsuits helped keep us warm as we prepared.  Our toes were numb and every step on the beach was like shards of glass digging into our feet.   I jumped in the lake, to get use to the temperature and found out very quickly it was warmer in the lake than out of the lake.   

Ladies wave getting ready for the start
Its officially time to start the race.  All of us ladies stepped into the water and bobbed around until the mounted posse fired the shot gun, or when that failed, the race announcer yelled "BANG!"   And we were off.   I was definitely off and doing my own thing.  After about 200 yards it was clear I had completely veered off path.  The good news was that no one was around me  except the safety team on a jet ski telling me to change my direction.   Okay, so I got back on track heading toward the turn-around buoy, but continued to very frequently veer off track and needed to be guided in the correct direction. 

Me completing the swim
By the time I was half way done with the swim, I was having conversations with kayakers about how my right arm was stronger than my left and that I need to spot more frequently.  Unfortunately my goggles were not behaving, so even if I attempted spotting I would not be able to see where I was going.  I finally tore them off and just swam with my eyes closed, opening them every few strokes to make sure I was on track.   Supposedly I was not the last one out of the water, but I did get back to the transition area and my bike was the lone bike hanging.  That did make it easy to find.  (Always need to look on the bright side).  

Out for a Ride
I changed out of my wetsuit and into my biking gear.   There was a restroom in the transition area, so I quickly made a pit stop and then I was out on the open rode for 56 miles. It was an out and back course with gorgeous scenery, which translates into 2600 ft of elevation gain. I was far enough behind the group that I pretty much didn’t see anyone until about mile 20 when they were all making their return.  The entire bike course my legs just didn’t want to cooperate and pedal.  I knew I was slow but I just couldn’t push it  any harder. The sun was shining down strong (about 87 degrees) and I was over it. I finished the bike course with one person left behind me.  I was ready to be done.  But I knew Erika (she did amazing for her first ever 70.3, finished in under 7 hrs!!!!)  was already out on the run course, Duane was there supporting me, and my mom and Aunt were driving in from Portland to watch me cross the finish line.  That being said, I must continue.  13.1 more miles to go.  Luckily most of the run course was in the shade.

Starting my 2nd Loop
I started the run mentally and physically fatigued.  The run course was a 2 loop clover leaf course with lots of rolling hills.  I decided I would run the down hills, and do some combo of run-walk the rest of the course.   By the  time I got out on the run the course, the first finishers had completed the race.  At mile 6 of the run course I got a lot of comments, "we’re almost there", " We got this".  Unfortunately, they were almost there completing their second lap, while I was halfway there, having to go out again for my second loop.  The second loop was easier, I knew what to expect.  By the time I started my second loop there were very few of us out there.  The volunteers at all the water/aid stops were amazing all the way to the end.  I ended up being the 2nd to last participant to cross the finish line.   (Had I  slowed down my pace, the volunteers would have celebrated with me through the finish line, however, I was just too fast, lol).  Who needs volunteers, when I had my Mom and Aunt, who made me an awesome sign (first race, that anyone has made me my own sign), my husband, and Erika all cheering me on as I crossed the finish.  

Crossing the Finish Line
Overall, I was slower in every sport since my first 70.3 fun in 2013.  Swim was right about an hour,   the bike was 4:35 and my run was 3:16 (still under Disney timing requirements).  I did improve on my transition times with a total of about 8 minutes.  There was 158 people who started,  6 did not finish, and I ended up in 150th place with a time of 9hrs and 26 seconds.  

2016 Best in the West Finisher
Duane was a trooper,  he drove us to race start and supported us the entire day cheering us on and taking pictures during our journey.  He was able to take a few breaks resting in the car and watching the Godfather trilogy.  Its a long day even for the spectators.  Maybe even requires some training :)   


Now that this race is in the books, would I do this again? We will see.  But already looking at potential 2017 race ideas.  :)

How Awesome are my Mom and Aunt?!?!?















No comments:

Post a Comment