Saturday, March 30, 2019

2019 LA Marathon Race Cap

It's Game Time!

Relive My Marathon Video

Yesterday I completed my 8th Marathon.   It was fun day.   I went in feeling strong, weather looked perfect and was ready to go after my A-goal of 4 hrs and 35 minutes (or about a 10:30 pace).


Race morning, I woke up at 2:55am, got ready and drove to Santa Monica to catch the race shuttle from the finish line to the start line at Dodger's Stadium.   Ended up getting to Dodger Stadium around 4:35am and sat around waiting for the race to start.   Around 5:30, I ran into a fellow SBRC member - Cami, and Church Pastor - Frances. It was great to have some company as we waited for the race to start.   Best part of starting at Dodger Stadium real bathrooms!!!



Dodger Stadium with fellow SBRC member Cami
Frances and I at Dodger Stadium - it was her first marathon
Around 6:30am we moved to our corrals.  Cami and I were in the same corral, so we continued to hang out until race start.  At 6:30 the wheel chair racers started, 6:45 the elite women, 6:55 the elite men, and 7:00 am we were off.   I was in corral C and ended up pretty much heading out around 7:03am.
Cami and I in the corral


I was warned by several people not to push the first 6 miles and to plan to be slightly slower than goal race pace.   The race starts out with a slight incline out of the stadium, followed by a quick downhill into downtown LA.  At the 5k mark I had an estimated finish time of about 4:31.  Right before we hit the first big hill around mile 4 past the Disney Concert Hall, Coach Mark was there supporting LA Road Runners and SBRC. The course continued the upward climb past echo lake as we headed back up onto Sunset.  At the 10k mark, my estimated finish time was about 4:39, so per plan my pace was right where I wanted to be.

Once up on Sunset, the road became nice rolling hills.  The sun was starting to come out and it was starting to warm up.  I reached the 15k mark with an estimated time 4:38, so slowly catching back up to my target race goal.   But by this time, the mental game was beginning to start.   I was getting really sleepy and starting to feel sluggish.  Somewhere during this timeframe, Shangrila from Feisty Fox Coaching passed me.  She was looking strong, while I was not.  I quickly said hi as she zoomed away, but it was what I needed to get my mind in the race.   I changed my race strategy from 5 mile chunks to 1 mile chunks.   I started to focus on what I needed to do to get to the next mile.   The only thing I remember seeing as I ran down Hollywood Blvd was the Pantages theater.  Somehow I missed all the famous land marks in that area as I was focused on the road in front of me.

As we turned off Hollywood Blvd to get back to Sunset, we reached a nice downhill for a couple of miles.   I still struggle with steep downhills and have a tendency to put on the breaks instead of letting gravity do what its suppose to do.  I reached the 25k mark with an estimated finish time of 4:45.  At this time, I started to switch to my B goal which was to finish under 5 hrs.   It felt really hot out there.  I ended up walking the water stations and pouring water over myself at each aid station.   (After the race I learned the high temp was 69 degrees, so not sure why I felt so miserable, maybe just not use to that temperature after our wet and cold winter we trained in).

Mile 17 by SBRC cheer station
We headed down rodeo drive and turned onto Wilshire, to see SBRC cheer station in full force.  They looked like they were having a blast, and continued to cheer me on as I proceeded along the course.   At the 30k mark I continued to slow down, and my estimated finish time was 4:50.  I knew I had my friends Jac and D around mile 21, so just had to go a few miles to get additional motivation from them.  Everyone warned me about the slight uphill starting at mile 20 going to about mile 23.  They were right,  I could definitely feel it.  Jac and D spotted me and were excited to see me, Jac ran with me for about a quarter mile and kept saying how I looked strong (but really I was feeling miserable).



At the 35k mark, I was starting to get closer to my B goal time.   It had me at an estimated finish time of 4:55:56.   Luckily, my friend Erica was at mile 22.5  in Brentwood and she was there to push me until about mile 25.   (I didn't realize how much pad in my goal time I had eaten up).   Beginning at mile 23 it was all downhill to the finish.   However, I had a side ache, I was tired, and ready to be done.   She continued to motivate me to get to the finish.   At the 40k mark my ETA was 4:59:41.  Around mile 25.5, Erica's parents (Ann and Dirk) and kid were there cheering me on.  I quickly gave them high five, and quickly continued down Ocean. I looked at my watch and realized I had 3 minutes to get across the finish line, that looked so far away.  So I gave everything I got, and managed to cross the finish at 4 hrs 58 mins and 40 secs.

It was a tough course yesterday, I'm not sure what made it tough, but it definitely was run I had to work for.   I still had mental things going on, but I was able to control the mind and keep it from going into a downward spiral.   Which is a big leap forward for myself.   Plenty to be proud of.
Frances and I at the finish, She's officially a marathoner!



It was not my A goal,  but it was my long time running goal.  When I started running marathons, I never thought I could break the 5 hour mark.  So doing that is a big accomplishment (20 minute PR).   I originally said once I break the 5 hr mark, I can stop running marathons, but I'm still improving and do not believe I have reached my full potential.




The crowd was amazing.  There were supporters non-stop from Dodger Stadium to Santa Monica.  The city really came out to support us runners.  I want to thank my friends who came out to cheer us on and everyone at the SBRC cheer station.  Knowing you guys were out there supporting me, helped to keep me going when things got difficult.  
SBRC Cheer station at mile 17- Thanks so much

You just PR'ed in the LA Marathon, what are you going to do next?  I'm Going to Disneyland!!!  Spent Monday walking around the park with Valerie and Anne from South Bay running club.  Of course I had to show Mickey Mouse my accomplishment :)

Anne and I showing Mickey our Bling


LA Marathon Expo - Lets do this!

I Conquered LA:  Santa Monica Classic, Pasadena Half, LA Marathon

LA Marathon Expo - I found my name

Frances and I at the Expo 

Frances and I at the Expo

Beast Mode with the SBRC gang!
















No comments:

Post a Comment